TBEX Asia 2016 wrapped just under 4 weeks ago in Manila and it sure wasn’t disappointing. As it was my first TBEX I didn’t know what to expect. Between the tours and parties that the Philippines tourism authority hosted, and the selection of speakers TBEX put together it was a great weekend.
- Do the Prebex tour! The Lucky Chinatown food tour sent me into a food coma. See old manila walks for details. (http://oldmanilawalks.com/binondotour.htm), These tours are a great way to start meeting people before the conference has even began.
- Use the TBEX promo’s! Grab Taxi offered a 100 peso discount for TBEX attendees which made the headache of Manilas traffic that little more bearable.
- People working in the travel industry are generally a happy and outgoing lot, say hi to everybody, you never know who you will meet.
- People love sharing business cards however this can be a little overwhelming. Have a conversation, be strategic and share afterwards.
- Pick your presentations wisely, there are multiple speakers presenting at the same time so do your homework and pick wisely.
- Michael Collins from Travel Media brings free doughnuts when he presents.
- The closing party rocks. Don’t eat beforehand and get there early. Free food and free beer usually lead to free fun!
- Video content is the future. One can just look at their Facebook feed for evidence of this, I know mine is filled with videos. With innovations like Instagram’s hyper lapse app its becoming much more accessible to create professional looking content. (http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/13/6968699/hyperlapse-is-really-good-at-stabilized-video)
- There is a huge opportunity in the travel industry right now to guide people to an experience. While a small number of guide books such as lonely planet offer generalized information that people can spend hours looking through. Trip Advisor offers a huge number of user generated reviews that people can spend hours looking through. There is a huge space for information to be specifically produced to target different market segments. This is where travel bloggers need find the right platform to find their audience.
- Mobile is the key technology moving forward. You just need to catch a train, or walk into a hostel to notice how humanity on a whole is overcome with the need to use our mobile phones. Content needs to be mobile friendly.
That’s what I brought home with me. I already can’t wait for my next TBEX
The Simple Traveller